Travelling is the best way to relax and relearn about a whole lot of things in my opinion. However, finding how to travel when you have a busy work schedule in Nigeria seems a bit difficult especially if you are trying to keep it under a budget. For me, I am in a long term relationship with travelling but I also have a busy work schedule and coupled with the fact that I always work with a budget. Here are my own tips on how you can still travel on a budget with a busy work schedule. Please note this is based solely from my experience.
- Save before you Spend – Every month once my salary is paid, I take out my tithe firstly
while I put the percentage of my salary that I have dedicated for travelling into a separate account before attempting to spend on anything. This way it helps me not to spend my money anyhow.
- Start Small and Take Multi-City Trips – Before aiming for big destinations, start with the
tourist attractions in your Country and explore them. Visit two or more cities at a go rather than one city at a time since you have a limited time. For example you can explore Ondo and Ekiti state during one trip rather than doing each state as a trip of its own.
- Visit Visa- Free Countries – With our Nigerian passport, you can visit over 50 countries: visa-free or visa on arrival. I have a list on my blog with the list. I spent my last Easter holiday in Benin Republic.
- Plan Your Holidays around Public Holidays – Plan your vacation around the numerous public holidays spread across in Nigeria and its best to plan your trips around time so you have more time. Plus if possible, plan your leave around this time and you can get 1 week or more of holiday. For example, if there is a public holiday for Friday and Monday, you can take 4 days out of your leave days. That makes your vacation rom Friday to Sunday which is already 9days.
- Avoid Compulsive Buying – Try as much as you can to avoid buying things compulsively. In terms past, I would work into a supermarket to buy one thing and end up with 10 things. Now, I always go with a list of things in order to avoid buying more than I can afford and save cost.
- Have a Budget- Try as much as you can to have a realistic budget and stick to it.
By Diusor Odiakosa