Germany remains one of the top choices for international students to study in.
Not just because it is one of the most developed countries in the world but also because it offers some of the cheapest forms of education in the world ( some are tuition-free), coupled with a wide range of German scholarship opportunities.
However, the general notion among Nigerians is that before you can study in Germany, you need to be proficient in German. This has dashed the hopes of a lot of prospective Nigerian Students. The good news is that this is not completely true as there are other alternatives.
Germany offers a growing number of programs (at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels) taught in English for international students. Finding English courses in Germany and Universities that Nigerians can attend can be quite a difficult task to execute as online research is time-consuming. This is why we have decided to alleviate that burden and compile a list of English Speaking Universities in Germany for you.
How to Study in English in Germany
German Universities are particular about molding global leaders. This is why they are working towards expanding the number of courses taught in English. Applied Sciences, as well as other academic disciplines such as Business, International Relations, Engineering and Computer Sciences are taught in English both in state and private universities. You should however note that studying English-taught courses in Germany doesn’t erase the need for you to learn German eventually as you study. This will aid your communication with locals, expand your circle of friends and ultimately help you obtain visa in the future.
To study in Germany in English for free, you might consider looking beyond popular universities to smaller institutions that are specialized. This option can be good for those who already have a career path set before them and want to get to the practical aspect in their field while bagging a recognized degree. Note that before applying to a particular school, do some research regarding the school’s reputation in your chosen field and also ensure that the institution offers the right qualifications for your career.
German Universities That Offer English-taught Programs
The first thing that comes to your mind is “would I be receiving the same quality of education as those being taught in German?” Yes, you would. Here are some of the best universities in Germany that offer degree courses in English where Nigerians can attend.
- IUBH University of Applied Sciences
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- University of Freiburg: University of Freiburg is one of the few German Universities that offer undergraduate programs taught in English, allowing international students study for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Georg-August-Universittat Gottingen
- Hochschule Mannheim-University of Applied Sciences
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology(KIT)
- Berlin International University of Applied Sciences: At this University, all programs are taught in English.
- Bremen University of Applied Sciences
- Jacobs University
- Technische Universitat Munchen (TUM)
- University of Gottingen
- Max Planck Institute
- Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences: Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences offers various English-taught bachelors-degree courses. There are no tuition fees required, so students only need to pay the semester fee.
- Freie Universitat Berlin
- Technische Universitat Dresden
- Munich University of Applied Sciences
- University of Bonn
- Saarland University
- Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
- Technische Universitat Kaiserslautern
- Universitat Hamburg
- ULM University
- HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
- University of Bayreuth
- WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management
- University of Stuttgart
- RWTH Aachen University
- HTW Berlin
- Technische Universitat Berlin
- TU Darmstadt
- University of Hohenheim
- University of Erfurt
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management
- Humboldt-Universitat zu Berlin
- Friedrich-Alexander University Eriangen-Nurnberg
Tuition-free Universities in Germany That Offer English-Taught Courses
Low or tuition-free degree courses are one of the major reasons why international students want to study in Germany. The following are the best tuition-free universities in Germany that offer courses taught in English Language.
- University of Applied Sciences Wurzburg Schweinfurt
- Technical University of Munchen
- TU Darmstadt
- FAU Erlangen Nurnberg
- Hamburg University of Technology
- Leibniz Universitat Hannover
- University of Munster
- University of Bonn
- University of Hamburg
- SRH University of Heidelberg
However, there are still some “semester contribution/fees” that need to be paid in order to be enrolled in these universities. This semester fees include public transport ticket, registration fee and students’ union fee. The total cost depends on the university you are choosing.
Entry Requirements to Study English-taught Courses for German Universities
The entry requirements to study English-taught programs are almost the same as for the programs taught in German. They include:
- Certificate of completion of secondary/tertiary education.
- A recognized qualification (For postgraduate programs).
- Proof of English proficiency-TOEFL or IELTS results.
- GRE or GMAT (For Economics and Business-related courses).
- Motivational/Reference Letters.
Your qualification must meet the German Higher Education standard. If it does not, you might not be granted admission or the University of your choice may require you to sit for a preparatory course that would give you the skills and knowledge needed for you to attend your regular choice of course.
Some public universities might have slightly different requirements. E.g, the completion of a general qualification testing. For the English Proficiency Test, the minimum score required to be admitted is 6.5 for ELTS or 80 in TOEFL but it varies depending on the University and the nature of the course you chose to study. At the postgraduate level, the minimum scores are set higher compared to undergraduate courses.
However, it is important that you attain a high score as this would play a huge role in your admission particularly in universities where the competition is high. Read more about entry requirements for German Universities.
You might also be interested to read: