The UK Student Visa Information For Intending Nigerian Students

Last Updated on

Studying in the UK is one of the greatest things the average Nigerian would want to achieve. The education system in the UK is one of the most remarkable ones in the world. A lot of people want to experience the training given at schools in the UK.

Every year, about 500,000 non-UK students are enrolled in schools in the UK. The UK is a natural location for international students to flock to because of their diverse population and a reputation of prestigious schooling. Nigeria is listed as one of the top ten countries that send students to the UK. Generally, degrees taken in the UK take less time in being completed than other countries. This is one of the many reasons it is one of the most preferred countries in the world to school in.

Before applying for a UK student visa, you must have been admitted into a school in the UK. For the types of visa to apply for, the UK has two types of student visa; Short-term study visa and the Tier 4 visa. The Short-term study visa is used for courses that do not last up to 12 months (1 year). This visa type is usually valid for 6 months and can be extended only to 11 months for English Language courses that would take that much time.

For students who would be taking up long term courses in the UK, the first thing for you to do is to make sure your chosen institution holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License. The Tier 4 visa has two categories; The Tier 4 (Child) visa and the Tier 4 (General) visa. If the applicants are minors i.e between the ages of 4 and 17, they are to apply for the Tier 4 (Child) visa. Students above the age of 16 are to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa. Note that you are to submit your visa application online.

Documents Necessary For Application

  • A completed visa application form which must have been filled online.
  • A valid passport with a page that is blank on both sides.
  • Passport-sized photographs (2x 2′) taken on a white background.
  • Proof of visa fee payment.
  • An admission letter into an institution in the UK.
  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) form from your course provider.
  • Proof of adequate English Language skills evidenced by passing on of a recognized English Language testing body.
  • Proof of finances (e.g. original bank statement that is not older than 3 months). You should be able to prove that you have the capacity to spend about £1,300 monthly during your stay.
  • Confirmation of accommodation and flight bookings.
  • A letter of invitation if you are being sponsored by a friend or family member.
  • Original marriage certificate if you are traveling with your spouse.
  • Birth certificates for minors (from ages 4-17).
  • Travel medical insurance that covers the entire duration of your stay.
  • A detailed and signed letter explaining the purpose of traveling to the UK.
  • A signed undertaking to return to Nigeria at the end of your course.

Visa Fees

The Tier 4 visa costs about £335. The Short-term study visa costs £97 for a stay of up to 6 months and £186 for an extended stay of up to 11 months.

Processing Time

The UK study visa is normally processed within 2-3 months after application in Nigeria


1. Can I work on a Student Visa in the UK?

Yes, foreigners on a student visa can work in the country especially those on a scholarship. You can work for up to 20 hours a week while in session and full time when the session is over. Note that this only applies to those who have been issued the Tier 4 (General) visa.

2. Who do I contact for information on admissions?

Universities or institutions in the UK have their international advisory bodies that feed information to people who want to ask questions about the schools. It is advised that you find out about the advisory body in the school you want to apply to for information.

3. Can I extend my Tier 4 (General) Visa?

Yes, you can extend your Tier 4 (General) Visa. However, you have to check and ensure that you pass all the requirements of the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You are to make your application to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office 6 months before your visa is due to expire.

Click here to connect with our agent for more information on the UK Student Visa

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Notify of