Germany is a federation on the continent of Europe. It is one of the popular countries in the world, with Berlin as its capital. The official language of Germany is German (Deutsch). Over the years, many Nigerians have migrated to Germany for several reasons.
Germany Visa Types
Germany visas are in two major categories. They are the long term and short term visas. The short term visas are valid for 90 days from the day of issuance, and the long term visas are for persons who are going to stay for a longer time in Germany.
The short term visas are majorly for visitors, tourists, persons needing medical attention or persons on short official visits. The long term visas are for persons who intend to study or gain permanent residence in Germany.
The various types of short and Long term Germany visas include:
Germany Visitor Visa
This visa is for persons intending to travel to Germany for tourism, holidays, or to visit family members in Germany.
Germany Transit Visa
The Germany Transit visa is given to persons who are intending to travel through Germany to another country. The visa is valid for 3 days.
Germany Student Visa
The student visa is for available for persons who want to undergo academic training in Germany. These persons have been offered provisional admission at the time when the Germany student visa application is commenced.
Germany Working Visa
The employment visa is for persons interested in working in Germany, work visas are the visas applicable to them. There are several kinds of work visas for both permanent and temporary employments. This visa is issued based on applicant’s vocational qualification or a concrete offer of a contract of employment.
Germany Business Visa
Business visas short term visas. They are issued to persons who have business meetings, conferences or professional conventions to attend in Germany. The valid is usually valid for at most 90 days.
Germany Visa Requirements
For the various types of German visas, there are certain requirements that must be met. However, there are certain requirements that apply to almost all the types of visas. Every visa applicant needs to get a valid Nigerian passport if they don’t already have or renew the passport if it has expired.
The documents needed for a German visa application include:
- A valid Nigerian passport – valid for 6 months.
- A coloured copy of the data page of the international passport.
- Photocopies of the Nigerian Passport visibly showing the applicant’s passport number, picture and bio-data pages.
- A properly filled and signed Germany visa application form.
- One Passport-photograph of the applicant.
- Visa Processing fees.
- A prepaid envelope by any major courier service to return passport and original documents.
- Travel health insurance
Depending on the visa type, other supporting documents could include:
- An invitation letter from a Germany sponsor
- A letter from applicant’s Germany employer
- Leave letter from applicant’s Nigerian employer.
- A proof of provisional admission, issued by the Germany academic institution
- Proof of accommodation in Germany
- Bank statement for the past 3 months
Germany Visa Application
Once you are sure that you need a Germany visa, and you have gotten an international passport, as well as the other supporting documents, there are a few other things that you need to do. A lot of applicants get some steps wrong and get denied a visa to Germany. For short term visas, applicants can apply online, following the steps that are stated below. Long term visa (National visa) applicants need to call the Embassy to schedule personal interviews before they can start any application process.
The steps to apply for a German visa are as follows.
Steps to Apply for a Germany Visa
- It is advised that you be very clear on your ‘purpose of travel’
- Download and fill the visa application form
- Affix your passport photograph
- Book an appointment
- Visit the German application center to submit your application form and the other supporting documents at the Visa application center.
- Pay the visa application fee at the Visa application center.
- Provide your biometric information
- Track the application online
Where to Get a Germany Visa Application Form
The normal Germany visa application forms can be downloaded from the embassy website and filled manually, and the e-visa form should be filled and submitted online.
How and Where to Pay Germany Visa Fees
Germany visa fees can be paid at the Visa application center with cash or via debit cards.
It is important to note that the visa processing fee is non-refundable.
Germany Visa Processing Time
The Germany visa processing time is usually between 14 to 21 working days.
Where to Collect Germany Visa upon Approval
If your German visa application is approved, you can collect your passport from the Visa Application Centre or use the option of courier delivery.
Address and Location of Germany Embassy in Nigeria
Germany Consulate Nigeria, Lagos
15 Walter Carrington Crescent (formerly Eleke Crescent)
Germany Embassy Nigeria, Abuja
9 Lake Maracaibo Close, Maitama
Phone: +00234-9-220-8010, +00234-9-220-8011